Today I joined Krista and Tracy on Fit and Fabulous and we discussed interval training. Anyone who has worked with or watched me train know that this is one of my staples. Interval training is quite simply the fastest way to improve your fitness.
Why interval training?
- the intervals are fully customizable (novice and experts challenged in the same workout!)
- Extremely efficient: 20 minutes and this personal trainer awards you all-star status
- Helps your slower cardio workouts to get better
- You’re more likely to stick to it because the challenges are endless, no two workouts are the same
- Google it – HIIT and interval training are the real deal
Here’s how to start interval training. Get an interval timer app on your phone. For iPhone is use Interval Timer. Set your timer for two intervals, 20 seconds for one and 10 seconds for the other. For the 20-second interval pick one of these exercises and do 4 rounds.
- Kettlebell swings
- Jump rope
- Battle rope
- Med ball slams
- Med ball toss
- Box jumps
- Kettlebell squats
- Reverse lunges
Interval training will feel challenging at first. But as you slowly and methodically incorporate a few rounds into your workout routine, you will notice not only your body getting stronger but also your mind getting stronger. I believe it is your fastest track to better fitness this spring.
Happy training! Let me know if you have any questions!